Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pantheon on a scortching hot day

Today I went to the Pantheon one last time before I have to say my final goodbyes here in Rome and head back to the United States. Today felt like one of the hottest days since being in Italy it was almost unbearable. Approaching the Pantheon I noticed the heavily populated area was even more crowded than usual possibly have something to do with the fact that tourist season is in full effect. After swaying through crowds of tourists and family I finally reached the inside of the church and was relieved to be walking into a shaded cooler space. To my surprise the inside of the church was not flooded with people by any means. I would have thought that there would be swarms of people congregating around in the church not only to look around but in hopes of staying cool. This was the first visit to the Pantheon where more people were standing outside and around the church than they were inside of it. I sat down on one of the altar benches for about 15 minutes and tried to capture as many pictures as possible with my own eyes to store in my memory. I don’t know if I will ever get a chance to come back and see this exquisite place again in my life and it worked out very well for me that the inside was not overly crowded and I was able to enjoy the space in a more memorable and personable way.

No comments: