Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Group walk-Follow up

My group decided to visit markets on our walk that Courtney had found and considered interesting places to visit. I was excited because I love going to different markets and seeing what all they offer. The first market we went to was in Testaccio. It was in a building and the majority of what it sold was produce, meat, and breads. It did have a few clothing, shoe stands, and stands that had an array of odds and ends. In this market you could smell more of the meat and fruits because it was in a closed area. I also determined that many people from the outside of a building don’t realize that it is a market because it can be deceiving as just another building when walking past it.

The second market we went to was in Campo di fiori. This was an open air market that was in some ways similar to the one we had just visited. It was obviously in a more heavily populated area surrounded by restaurants. We discussed that is would be much easier to stumble across a market like this rather than the first one we went to because of the fact that it was in an enclosed building.. It had all the same things as the one in Testaccio with an exception of meat. It also offered souvenir stands and some additional clothing and accessories.

I personally liked this market in Campo better because I liked that it was outside and the smells of the meat were not trapped in a building that can sometimes be overwhelming. I also liked that it had a few more stands and I actually ended up getting a good but of my gift shopping out of the way. It was a really nice place to get produce and fruit. I had some of their watermelon and it was delicious! Overall I think that this is a much more popular market considering that it is open air, so easy to come across, and in a very popular area. I’m glad we got a chance to walk through these places as a group I had a lot of fun and saw some pretty cool stuff.

No comments: