Sunday, June 15, 2008

Boys Town Trip

Boys Town exceeded all my expectations. I went into this trip thinking that I would leave feeling sorry for the children who were living there but I left with just the opposite feeling. You could tell right from the moment we got there that the children there are genuinely happy and get fulfillment out of life by all the opportunities that Boys Town has created for them. You could see the close relationships that they have with each other and they were each others family. I made me feel good to know that they can have that feeling of having a family even if their parents aren't around. You could tell that they appreciate life and enjoy the small things in life that sometime I know I take for granted. They appreciate things like going to school, having responsibility, and setting up a future for themselves. Walking through their art room left my mouth hanging wide open. These kids are really talented. Some of the paintings and sculptures they created blew my mind. It was cool to see they had a place to express themselves.

I also really liked they way Boys Town was set up. It was truely like a small community. It reminded me of a fancier summer camp that I would never want to leave. It was really nice. We got a change to see their auditorium, classrooms, dining hall, and even the Mayor of Boys Town bedroom. All the boys were very nice and respectable. Growing up in a place like Boys Town seems to have taught them a certain appreciation for life that a lot of people may not get. I specifically remember one of the teachers grew up at Boys Town and has come back to give to the community. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. That really shows you that not only do they have teachers they have older role models who can relate to exactly what they are going through and be there for them.

Visiting here made me really want to get involved with an organization like boys town. I have come to realize and understand more why people volunteer. They find something they are passionate about and it turns into something they love to do and I could see myself lending a hand to Boys Town back in the States. This was a once and a lifetime trip and I will never forget it.

No comments: