Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trevi Fountain

Being tourists ourselves here in Rome I decided to go observe how other people were experiencing the Trevi Fountain. Not only did I observe tourists but also took notice to Italians, what they were doing and if they were spending time at the Fountain. I noticed that there were a lot of families there, and the ones with children stood out to me. The kids seemed to think that the fountain was the most amazing thing that they had ever seen. I just remember one little boy specifically asking his dad for more and more money to throw into the fountain, he just couldnt get enough of it. I also witnessed an older couple standing contently on the steps a little further away from the fountain than other people reading a tour book. It was interesting to see how some people were more into walking up to the fountain, taking pictures, talking to the people they were with about what they were seeing, and some people were more so comparing things to what they saw to what they were reading in their guidebook. Of course there was your typical tour guide there leading a group of people with their umbrella or pole in the air so that their group could keep track of them. They were funny to watch because they were all focused on listening to the tour guide but you could tell some of them wanted to branch off and just go look around for themselves. Last but not least I noticed that there were not many locals at the fountain. There were a few sitting around on the steps eating something or conversating with another person, but there wasnt as many Italians there as I had expected. I am excited to observe this area more, because it seems like a place where a lot of action happens!

No comments: